Trained as Italy's first female physician, Dr. Maria Montessori is best known for her creation of the Montessori Method of education. This method was a revolutionary approach to the way children were educated. Dr. Montessori created a system that addresses the development of the whole child. Through her studies, Dr. Montessori recognized a natural curiosity and a desire to learn in children. She focused on awakening that curiosity and desire to learn by creating motivating learning experiences.
Dr. Montessori’s belief was that students learn best in an environment that supports and respects each child’s unique development and at his/her natural rate of progress. Learning should be joyful and at the right moment for each child. Each child is given the chance to fulfill his/her potential possibilities to become an independent and balanced individual.
Dr. Montessori developed what she called the “prepared environment”, which possesses a certain order and allows children to learn at their own speed, according to their own capabilities, and in a non-competitive atmosphere. It is organized, open and aesthetically pleasing. It is geared to the child’s size, needs, and interests. Under careful guidance by the teacher, the Montessori environment prompts children to take initiative in their own education by making choices, developing self-respect, and learning accountability to others.
Dr. Montessori recognized that the greatest value to learning was the self-motivation of the child. Children move themselves toward learning. The teacher prepares the environment, and then acts as a dynamic link between it and the child. Through support and encouragement, but it is the child who learns and is motivated through the work itself to persist in a given task. Montessori introduces children to the joy of learning at an early age and provides a framework in which intellectual and social discipline go hand-in-hand. Each child is embraced as an individual and is provided with learning opportunities to meet his/her changing needs.
“So the whole life of the child is an advance toward perfection, toward a greater completeness.” – Maria Montessori
- child directed
- individualized instruction
- hands-on approach to learning
- highly integrated curriculum
- uninterrupted work periods
- carefully prepared environment and a diverse set of Montessori materials
- respectful, joyful and cooperative
- creating a natural curiosity and desire of learning
Mother Teresa Catholic School is currently offering the following Montessori Programs:
- Montessori Pre-Kindergarten (3 - 4 year olds) 2017-2018 school year
- 2 programs
- 3 day half day program either am/pm depending on numbers $200
- 5 day half day program either am/pm depending on numbers $330
- There is no cost to PUF students
- Projected times: 8:45-11:35 am program & 12:15-3:05 pm program
- 2 programs
- Montessori Kindergarten (must be 5 years old by December 31st)
- Montessori Grade One to Grade 6 is available